You guys know that I am committed to living a more responsible and environmentally-safe lifestyle. Part of that commitment was to swear off leather goods. Leather goods take a lot of energy and toxins to be produced. I switched to vegan leather which some people argue is just as bad…. hmmmm…. What’s a chic girl like me going to do? The answer: Buy vintage handbags! Buying vintage handbags is not bad, is GOOD! Is better for your wallet, the environment and fashion.
What is Vintage?
Vintage is another way of saying “used”. I have no problem using a vintage handbag if is in good condition. I’m proud of the fact that I am not responsible for the creation of more toxic waste because of my need for carrying a designer bag around. Come to think of it, is just vanity not necessity that drives me to buy designer.
Classic designer pieces never go out of style. I just love Stella MCCartney, LV, Givenchy, YSL, Chanel but I refrain from buying new out of my principles until now.
I actually like the vintage bags more than the new ones. Vintage has more character. Here are my favorite 5 online designer handbag consignment shops I recommend:
- TheRealReal – This store sells clothes, shoes, handbags and even watches! New members get $25 credit for singing up
- Tradesy – Another great vintage store that sells items for women and men. Join their newsletter and get a $25 off $199 coupon
- FashionFhile – This company even has physical consignment stores in several cities in California.
- BagBorrowSteal – I first heard about this store on the Sex and the City movie. Great selection and customer service. Join their newsletter and get a coupon for 20% off your entire order
- Vestiaire Collective – The holy grail of vintage shopping. This french company is now servicing the US market. Huge selection of designer handbags and it works like eBay without the Chinese knockoffs
All the stores above have a designer authentication guarantee. I bought an LV and took it to my local LV store to have it checked out and sure enough the bag was authentic.
Refuse to participate in this consumerism hell that is destroying the planet. Go vintage!
You must log in to post a comment.